Globe view of orbits

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Globe view of orbits
  • From: rlove at (Robert B. Love )
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 94 10:31:00 -0700

Has anyone generated the view of an orbiting body around a spherical
earth as seen from beyond the orbit?  Its a classical view of the
orbit plane encircling the earth and having only the part of the
plane visible thats on the side of the viewer.

I looked at WorldPlot and ran into two stumbling blocks:
1) how do I generate a spherical view ?  All projections seem
designed for 2D representation.
2) A WorldGraphic object has only {lat, lon}, no elevation.

I've got the orbit position vectors and ground traces generated with
MMA and would love to plot this with MMA too.  Any suggestions?

All help appreciated.

Bob Love                   rlove at  (NeXT Mail OK)
                           BIX: rlove