Response to VectorAnalysis

  • To: MATHGROUP at
  • Subject: [mg238] Response to VectorAnalysis
  • From: REECE_D <REECE+_D%A1%Electromagnetic_Sciences at>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 09:35 EST

Richard Chen wrote asking about VectorAnalysis and crossing
two vectors in cylindrical space.

The package as you presented it worked fine.

{a1,a2,a3} x {0,0,1} is truly {Sqrt[(a1 Sin[a2])^2+...}

Convert the cylindrical vectors to cartesian vectors to convince

If you want {a1,a2,a3} x {0,0,1} = {a2,-a1,0}, you
will need to do this cross product in cartesian space.

Here is a follow on question regarding my understanding of
VectorAnalysis.  Does it convert vectors to cartesian vectors, perform
the requested operation and then convert back?  I'm wondering
why the Sin^2+Cos^2 terms show up in the first component of Mr. Chen's

-Daryl Reece