Re: Re: Enhancing mma graphics?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.Cybernetics.NET
  • Subject: [mg196] Re: [mg176] Re: Enhancing mma graphics?
  • From: John JOWETT <jowett at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 13:06:00 MET

> To: John JOWETT
> Subject: Re: [mg176] Re: Enhancing mma graphics?
> Date: Friday, 18 November, 1994 11:08
> Dear Mathgroup
> John Jowett wrote:
> > Under Windows, I have often enhanced or combined  Mathematica graphics
> > copying an image to a program such as PowerPoint.   If you select
> > Options/Clipboard/as Metafile in the Mathematica Front End, then the
> > maintains its object properties.   Then you just click on it and
> > will decompose it into graphical elements.   You can then change the
> > rescale parts of the image, etc.   With the Equation Editor you can
> on
> > axes labels or captions including proper mathematical symbols.
> >
> > This is better than going via an EPS file under Windows because you can
> > what you're doing and the metafile format maintains infinite resolution.
> >
> > Of course, all this is a little tedious and only worth doing when the
> > calculations in Mathematica are really finished and you want to make a
> > image for a talk or publication.   I think you can do similar things
> > Word or other programs if you haven't got PowerPoint.
> >
> > If you write using LaTeX, as I do, then this procedure is still useful
> > improving the graphics.   Print the slide from PowerPoint on a virtual
> > Postscript printer on a file (with the Encapsulated Postscript option
> > selected).  You may then have to clip the image to exclude unwanted
> material
> > inside LaTeX.  With the times package/option in LaTeX, even the fonts
> > up pretty well.
> >
> Isn't it possible to obtain the EPS file directly from Mathemathica
> without going through Windows metafile and virtual Postscript printer?
> Andrzej Buchowicz
> Institute of Radioelectronics
> Warsaw University of Technology
> e-mail: A.Buchowicz at
Yes, you can get an EPS file direct from Mathematica but you only get the
image exactly as it was produced by Mathematica.  My original message meant
to explain that you can get an EPS file via the virtual printer AFTER you
have edited or otherwise enhanced the image inside PowerPoint (or any other
Windows program).

If you take an EPS file directly from Mathematica to LaTeX, you can of
course put it inside a picture environment and then add material like axes
labels or arrows.   This is more work and you can't easily change
Mathematica's font sizes or styles or move bits of the graphics relative to
each other as you can while still exploiting Windows Metafile format.

John Jowett