RE: PowerExpand etc.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: RE: PowerExpand etc.
  • From: schnoerr at (Claudius Schnoerr)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:21:05 +0200 (MDT)

I think there should be at least a possibility to specify additional
assumptions or knowledge to be able to get to simpler results.

This is for example in the spirit of the package Declare I often use/need:

In[1]:= Needs["Declare`"];
{Declare, NewDeclare, NonPositive, RealQ}

In[2]:= Sqrt[x^2]

Out[2]= Sqrt[x ]
In[3]:= Declare[x,Positive];
In[4]:= Sqrt[x^2]
Out[4]= x

Claudius Schn"orr              Institut f"ur Physikalische Elektronik
                               Universit"at Stuttgart
                               Pfaffenwaldring 47
Tel: ++49-711-685-7168         70569 Stuttgart
FAX:             -7143
e-mail:schnoerr at