Re: Reference works are needed, Timing

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg625] Re: Reference works are needed, Timing
  • From: fink <fink at acf4.NYU.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 11:49:28 -0500 (EST)

There exists a reference work, in one sense, the archives of mathgroup.
If someone or a group would remove headers, clean it up a bit, index and
(press a cd? post to MathSource? searchable URL?) distribute it would
benefit everyone who uses Mathematica.
  Until I had to work on a problem, I didn't pay much attention to the
functions of columns discussion, but found DataManipulation in the
Statistics package with most of the functionality needed.
  Timing as a criterion for efficiency can't be matched.  When a function
I had written didn't work in a reasonable time, examining the timing
exposed the flaw.  Timing as a criterion for elegance is of less
importance to me; readablity, or understand-ability is what I need to
apply the techniques discussed to my work.  In the five years I've used
the program, the speed of the machine I work on has gone from 261 seconds
to 10 seconds for the same calculation, with 5 seconds or less for the
machine coming this fall.

Howard Fink