Explain weird behavior of Solve

  • To: MATHGROUP at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg638] Explain weird behavior of Solve
  • From: REECE_D <REECE+_D%A1%Electromagnetic_Sciences at mcimail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 12:49 EST

   Can someone explain what is happening in the following example.

   Solve[x^2 (2 l b-Sin[2 l b])/(4 b)==1, x]

             -2 I Sqrt[b]
   {x->-------------------------},...
       Sqrt[-2 b l + Sin[2 b l]]

   Solve[(x^2==a)/.Flatten[Solve[a (2 l b-Sin[2 l b])/(4 b)==1,a]],x]

              -2 Sqrt[b]
        Sqrt[2 b l -Sin[2 b l]]

   I want an answer sans I whenever possible.  I'd like to use the simple
call in #1 but don't like the solution representation.  Is there a way I
can force an answer like #2 or a rule I can apply that will always trade an
I in the numerator for a Sqrt[-1] in the denominator?

   Thanks in advance,
   Daryl