Re: Performance of student version of Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg679] Re: Performance of student version of Mathematica?
  • From: helios at strauss.udel.edu (Roger Frederi Clark)
  • Date: 8 Apr 1995 16:42:48 -0400

I was curious about this possibility also, so I contacted the
info at wri.com and here's what they said.  The student version will not use
a math coprocessor, even if present.  THe rep said that this makes
little difference for normal calculations, but for large data
sets, numerical calculations, or intensive graphics work, it translates into
about 4 times slower.  Unfortunately, this is what I use Mathematica for,
so I guess I'll have to go with the full version.

Roger Clark

--
                        |  /\      Biker, SCUBA diver, philosopher at heart.
helios at strauss.udel.edu |/^vv^\       o.     "We can only observe and theorize,
University of Delaware  |       \     _>~<\_   we can never know." -A. Einstien