Working with & plotting elevation represented as a 2D array

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1927] Working with & plotting elevation represented as a 2D array
  • From: Robert Fuentes <robert at cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 22:30:59 -0400

Howdy,
I'm working with some data that represents elevation. The data is a 2D array
(256x256 or 512x512). I'm currently plotting it using

Show[GraphicsArray[{SurfaceGraphics[image1],SurfaceGraphics[image2]}]]

In processing the data (wavelet transformation), I generate downsampled version
of the image (128x128, 64x64, etc).

Questions:
   1) It seems to take a lot of time/memory to generate the plots, is there a
better function to use that would still give me a polygonal terrain type output
(i.e., polygon mesh that looks like terrain)?

   2) What options would I use to get the plots to be the same physical size on
the display, but the mesh representative of the resolution of the data?

   3) I'm having lots of situations when the kernel just runs out of memory
(again I'm doing convolution type calculations and generating downsmpled
arrays; I'm also regenerating similar arrays by performing reverse calculation,
i.e., I'm running around with 2 256x256 arrays, 4 256x128 arrays, 8 128x128
arrays, etc). I've set the kernel memory to its highest value and I run with
about 40M of virtual and actual memory. What more can I do for this type of
processing?

thanks for your time,
robert
			      Robert W. Fuentes
		 Lockheed Martin - Tactical Aircraft Systems
		      Mission Planning Systems 068-3800
	       PO Box 748, Ft. Worth, TX. 76101, Mail Zone 5975

		   Voice: 817-763-7530   FAX: 817-777-0473

         EMail: robert at mps.lfwc.lockheed.com or fuentes at fastlane.net
		      LMTAS MS-Mail:  FNTSRWAA@smtpgate