Re: FrontEnd Message: 'Lost Connection to License Server'

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2746] Re: FrontEnd Message: 'Lost Connection to License Server'
  • From: Gerhard Braunshausen <braunsha at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 22:04:51 -0500

Atipat wrote:

> Hi,
> 	We have mathematica installed on our SGI, and the regular math
> session runs fine. Then when I tried the math notebook (via mathematica
> commands), the kernel refused to work, complaining about losing its
> connection to license server. Our license server is installed somewhere
> else (on another machine).
> 	Anyone has an idea what should I do or has experienced similar
> problems, please let me know. An e-mail to my account at
> dak at castor.che.wisc.edu is greatly appreciated. By the way, math notebook
> works fine on our DEC station.
>
> Thanks
> Atipat

The abovementioned Frontend message also appears sporadically
on our heterogenous Network License for Next and Sun stations.

However, the problem is not severe. Retrying to connect, usually allows
calculations to continue.

On one occasion the license server was switched off due to power failure,
which caused this message to appear and mathematica was unusable.

One could conjecture, that mathematica's internal mechanism to restrict
the number of users on a network license is at work here.
If it can't contact the machine hosting the license database
it lets you know.

So possibly, the message appears because of a network problem.

Check in the 'Actions'Kernels&Tasks...' menu if your license
server is contacted correctly.

good luck
gerhard