numerical solutions to matrices??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2761] numerical solutions to matrices??
  • From: Clark Snowdall <snowdall at rodin.colorado.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 02:02:51 -0500

I'm in a bit of a jam.  I have a system: phi'[t] == A.phi[t] that I have
to numerically solve.  Both A and phi[t] are 18x18 matrices, A is
composed completely of real numbers (mainly zeros), and I need to solve
it for phi at various times and for various initial conditions for phi.
I tried the Runge-Kutta programming example that came with my version of
Mathematica and while it worked for 4x4 matrices it choked on an 18x18.
It's needed for an orbit determination program that I am writing (in a
desparate effort to pass a class).  If anyone knows how to solve a
problem like this OR knows anything about orbit dtermination using
Mathematica I would VERY much appreciate it.  Thanks!!