Re: Bug ListPlot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2802] Re: Bug ListPlot?
  • From: John Tanner <John at janacek.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 00:42:31 -0500

In article: <4aoh57$muv at dragonfly.wri.com>  larry_kearney at appsig.com
(Lawrence Kearney) writes:

> In article <4alt86$qah at dragonfly.wri.com>, wself at viking.emcmt.edu
(Will
> Self) wrote:
>
> > A student of mine wanted to get plots of some data points.  He
wanted
> > to show the points large and connect them with lines. . Here is what
he
> > did:
> >
> > data={{1,1},{2,3},{3,2}}
> >
> > LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
> > PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.04]}]
> >
> > LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
> > PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.04]}, PlotJoined -> True]
> >

> > In the first plot, he got large points but in the second plot the
large points
> > were absent.  He is doing this on a PC.  I tried this also on a
Macintosh and
> > got the same behavior.  Would someone try it on somethihng else and
see
> > what happens?  Would you call this a bug in ListPlot?
> >
> > Will Self
>
> I don't think this is a bug. The generic ListPlot function does not
plot
> points at the data locations either.
>
> <<Big Snip>>

In fact, it is important that the PlotJoined->True option should not
show the points. I am not sure why, but all of my attempts to use
MultipleListPlot for large data sets (>4000 points) have failed due to
the inability to get rid of the points: all plots look like
millipedes :(

Can anyone help with this? At present I have to use multiple ListPlot's
with DisplayFunction->Identity, combined with Show.  MultipleListPlot
just isn't flexible enough, unless I am missing something.

--
I hate this 'orrible computer :  from -  John Tanner
I really ought to sell it     :  home -  john at janacek.demon.co.uk
It never does what I want     :  $$$$ -  100344.3241 at compuserve.com
but only what I tell it.      :  work -  john.tanner at gecm.com