Re: Mathematica as a programming language.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2855] Re: [mg2845] Mathematica as a programming language.
  • From: Ralheid at aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 00:48:56 -0500

    Well I think that if your are learning a programing language to impress
someone you may have an unsolvable problem. Normally the reason one is
programing is to either solve some problem, or to accomplish some end.
    For problem solving in a whole bunch of areas Mathematica provides a tool
for thinking, and manipulating very complex relationships with a maximum of
ease. Before Mathmatica most of these problems had to be solved, sort of
virtually, by hand, and then these hand writtem relationships were programed
into the computer. With Mathematic the relationships arer solved as them are
evolved and programing is sort of eliminated.
   There are things that I would not do using Mathmatica. Some things are
done faster using a spreadsheet. Some things are done only after a fortran
program is written tested and documented, and some things are better done
using C.
   However the first thing I think is required is to have some thing, one is
trying to do.
    Best Regards