Re: Comparison of MMA on Various Machines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2696] Re: Comparison of MMA on Various Machines
  • From: sinan at u.washington.edu (Sinan Karasu)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:02:48 -0500

In article <49dp82$8a6 at dragonfly.wri.com>,
Gerhard Braunshausen  <braunshausen at embl-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>Could anyone offer an explanation for the vast differences
>in speed particularly in comparing the PowerMac 9500 series
>with the SparcStation 20 series?
>
>To my knowledge, the Sparcstations were supposed to be very
>powerful numbercrunchers. So why do they perform so poorly
>with Mathematica?
>
>Thanks for any hints

I tried Mathematica on an UltraSparc, the results were very good.
They were somewhat better than PowerMac 9500.
I suspect that Mathematica memory management is written for Mac.
I also suspect that Wolfram Research uses gcc as the compiler
for minimum hassle when supporting various platforms.

Maybe it is time for Sun to donate some compilers and an
UltraSparc machine to Wolfram Research.

Sinan

--
 Redistribution by Microsoft Network is prohibited.