Re: Bug in symbolic inversion of matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2649] Re: Bug in symbolic inversion of matrices
  • From: onm010 at uni-essen.de (Dr. Stefan P. Mueller)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 21:03:53 -0500

In article <49dp5g$8a6 at dragonfly.wri.com>, chapman at bonnie.drea.dnd.ca
(David M.F. Chapman) wrote:

[...]
> We have found a probable bug involving the symbolic inversion of matrices.
> Up to size 6x6 works fine, but starting with 7x7, all the memory is gobbled
> up and the abort calculation command does not work.
[...]
How much memory does your system have? How complicated are the matrix
elements themselves? The symbolic inversion of larger matrices requires a
lot of memory. Formatting of the result for printing or display adds to
the memory requirements. I don't think there is a bug; I can invert an 8x8
matrix with simple elements on my system with 64 MB memory.

Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan P. Mueller, Nuklearmedizin, Universitaetsklinikum, Essen,
 e-mail: onm010 at uni-essen.de, phone: <49> 201/ 723-4179, FAX: -5964