Mma under Win95 (slow...)?

  • Subject: [mg2777] Mma under Win95 (slow...)?
  • From: smithl at physung.phy.uc.edu (Leigh Smith)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 19:09:37 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

Mathematica for windows v.2.2.3 installs just fine under Win95 once you
get the patch from mathsource.  That said, however, there are a lot of
weird things which go wrong:

1.  Comparing execution times for the same calculations, v.2.2.3 under
Win95 can be as much as 4 times slower(!) than under Win3.1 or Linux (I
haven't yet tried Win NT).  I assume this must be due to residual 16 bit
stuff in the kernel or the *16.mll mathlink dll?

2.  We haven't yet been able to run a remote mathematica kernel from the
front end under Win95 (it works fine under Win3.1).  We've installed the
local .mll file.  Is there a new tcp*.mll file needed as well?  Has anyone
successfully connected to a remote kernel over TCPIP?

3.  We've suspected that occasionally files can be corrupted when being
saved.  Unfortunately, it's really sporadic and we haven't been able to
pin down the conditions under which it happens.

Has anyone else seen the same behavior, or solved it?

Thanks,

Leigh Smith
Department of Physics
University of Cincinnati