Re: Help with contour plots, please?

  • Subject: [mg2714] Re: Help with contour plots, please?
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 01:54:44 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

In article <4a3ehi$qnc at dragonfly.wri.com>, hilbert!clever at uunet.uu.net
(Brian James Clever) wrote:

>     Hello. I was wondering how one plots the solutions to equations
>
>  such as x^3 - y^2 -1 = 0 using Mathematica. It seems to be related to
>
>  the ContourPlot function, but this gives me solid objects, not the solution
>
>  set . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

>  Brian Clever.

The Standard Mathematica Package Graphics`ImplicitPlot`
does what you want. Here is a simple example:

In[1]:=
    Needs[ "Graphics`ImplicitPlot`" ]
In[2]:=
    ImplicitPlot[ x^3 - y^2 -1 ==0, {x,-3,3},{y,-3,3}]

Out[2]=
    -ContourGraphics-

It is documenmted on pages 165-7 of the Guide to Standard
Mathematica Packages Technical Report.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier