Re: Problem with Contexts

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.Cybernetics.NET
  • Subject: [mg400] Re: [mg393] Problem with Contexts
  • From: Leendert van Gastel <gastel at can.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 13:20:42 +0100

> I experienced the following problem when defining Contexts:
>
> Mathematica 2.2 for NeXT
> Copyright 1988-93 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>  -- NeXT graphics initialized --
> In[1]:= Begin["Alice`"]
> Out[1]= Alice`
> In[2]:= x=1;y=2;x+y
> Out[2]= 3
> In[3]:= Begin["Bob`"]
> Out[3]= Bob`
> In[4]:= x=11;y=22;x+y
> Out[4]= 33
> In[5]:= Begin["Alice`"];y-x
> Out[5]= 11
> In[6]:= y-x
> Out[6]= 1
> In[7]:= Exit

Dear Charlie,

The change in the context is only effectuated when the command
it is part of, is processed completely.
This happens to be the way that it works, I noticed it once myself.
The full form of a;b is CompoundExpression[a, b], so when
a=Begin["Alice`"], this change is performed after the complete
CompoundExpression is evaluated.

In your example below, the lines read actually

first line:

Begin["Alice`"]; Null

second line:

y-x

The lines that form complete expressions in one cell are processed one by one
and so the change in context is performed after executing the first line.