How to Improve Memory Usage?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg1728] How to Improve Memory Usage?
  • From: jumping at (Jumping )
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 01:45:35 -0400

I was wondering if anybody could tell me why Mathematica for Windows
is horrendous in managing its memory.  No matter what I do, it seems that
the memory usage can only go up and almost never down, regardless whether
I have cleared and removed variables from previous use.  Can anybody explain
why Mathematica is doing that and is there a good method for improving
memory management? I was also wondering if Mathematica reserved some of
the memory it says is free for its own use.  Thanks in  advance.

J.T. Tsai