Re: Re: How to apply EdgeForm to ParametricPlot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1737] Re: [mg1700] Re: How to apply EdgeForm to ParametricPlot3D?
  • From: Anthony Rebello <arebello at knox.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 00:42:42 -0400

On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, Dave Wagner wrote:(In response to Gabriel's question)

> >Hello.  Is it possible to apply the EdgeForm Graphics3D directive to a
> >surface plot done with ParametricPlot3D?  The Book says nothing to the
>
> 							...  Hence the
> following does what you want with the Graphics3D object "g3dobj":
>
> Show[Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[whatever], g3dobj[[1]]}, g3dobj[[2]] ]]
>
> where "whatever" is a list of style directives.
>
> Here's an example.  I have no idea what this gizmo is but it was the
> first thing I could think of plotting parametrically.
>
> In[1]:=
> ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[u], Cos[u]Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {u,-Pi,0}, {t,0,Pi}]
>
> In[2]:=
> Show[Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[Hue[0]], %[[1]]}, %[[2]]]]

	This is certainly a good form to use when dealing with graphics
objects in general but ParametricPlot3D had a built in shortcut.  If we
wanted to apply Hue[0] to the polygon lines we could enter

ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[u], Cos[u] Sin[t], Cos[t], Hue[0]},
		{u, -Pi,0}, {t, 0 Pi}]

Thus the forth element of the function list can be used to input
graphics directives.  You can give lists of directives with any
neccessary list structure in version 2.2 but versions 2.1 and earlier
only allow one directive.

NUMBERS-ARE-THE-ROOT-OF-ALL-EVIL..NUMBERS_A
.                                         R
L                                         E
I             Anthony Rebello             |
V              Knox  College              T
E             Math Department             H
L                                         |
LA-FO-TOOR-EHT-ERA-SREBMUN.LIVE-LLA-FO-TOOR