Re: Putting Mathematica Graphics into TeX or LaTeX?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1770] Re: Putting Mathematica Graphics into TeX or LaTeX?
  • From: davidms at corp.hp.com (David Sangster)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 00:55:18 -0400

Ryan McMahon (mcmahon at utkux.utcc.utk.edu) wrote:
: Does anyone know how to take a graphic image
: in mathematica and get a postscript copy of it
: so that is may be used in LaTeX?

---

Here is what works for me.  It isn't pretty, but it works:

To print postscript files from Mathematica

1. Highlight the cell containing the graphic output.
2. Graph -> Convert Selected Graphic -> Convert to Postscript
3. Style-> Attributes -> Formatted (warning - this produces a _big_ text cell)
4. Save As Special -> Plain Text (creates a text file)
5. Edit the file you just saved to include only the "PS-like" commands:
   - the beginning of the file should look like:
        %!
        %%Creator: Mathematica
        %%AspectRatio: 1
        MathPictureStart
        %% Graphics
         [ bunch of stuff ]
   - the end should have:
        % End of Graphics
        MathPictureEnd
6. Run psfix (mine is in /usr/local/math/Bin/Display/psfix) on the file:
   psfix file > file2
7. file2 is a postscript file you can print,include in other programs, e.g. with
   "lp -opostscript file2", or similar...

Good luck - I'm using ver 2.2 on a HP 9000/735 running HP-UX 9.01.