Re: 3D Axes Label & bounding box of graphics [help]

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1780] Re: [mg1704] 3D Axes Label & bounding box of graphics [help]
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 21:34:45 -0400

Forwarded message:
> From mathgroup-adm at christensen.cybernetics.net  Mon Jul 24 14:34:24 1995
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 00:43:03 -0400
> From: John Fultz <jfultz>
> Subject: [mg1739] Re: [mg1704] 3D Axes Label & bounding box of graphics [help]
> To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
>
> > When I set AxesLabel->True and Axes->True in a Graphics3D environment
> > the axes label and the tick label overwrite each other.  I need to
> > correct this, but haven't found anyway to tell Mathematica where
> > to position the AxesLabels.
> >
> > So I figure that I would use Text to place my own axes labels.  The
> > problem is that to get the labels to not overlap I place the
> > axes labels outside the graphics bounding box for the figure and
> > although the Text appears on the video display, but doesn't appear
> > when I print to a ps file or ps printer.
> >
> > I have this problem on Mathematica 2.2 running on Sun OS and Solaris.
> >
> > I really need to get this resolved since the graph is to published
> > in a paper that is to be submitted SOON.
> >
> > Suggestions eagerly awaited.
> >
> > mike
> > --
> > 	Michael John Bergmann	919-660-2547	(home) 956-8439
> > 	Dept. of Physics box 90305, Duke University
> > 	Durham, NC 27708-0305    http://www.phy.duke.edu/~mjb
>
> You can use FullGraphics; FullGraphics takes all options, such as
:
:
[and more of my own babble]
:
:
> FullGraphics is documented in the book.
>
> John Fultz
> Wolfram Research, Inc.

I suppose I should read the question more closely before jumping into
the fray like that.  My answer is a fine answer...for two dimensional
graphics.  FullGraphics does *not* work on Graphics3D objects.

Now, for the REAL answer.  This can be done using spaces and carriage
returns.  For example, the following graphic has all of the labels
rather close to the tick marks, and the z label actually overwrites
tick marks:

Plot3D[x y, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
	AxesLabel->{"x1234", "y1234", "z1234"}]

By putting a new line before the x label, a new line and some spaces
before the y label, and some spaces after the z label, you can pull them
out of the graphic somewhat.

Plot3D[x y, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
	AxesLabel->{"\nx1234", "\n  y1234", "z1234    "}]

It's not real fine control, but it'll do the job.  To Mr. Bergmann, I
apologize if my previous answer wasted some of your time.

John Fultz
Wolfram Research, Inc.