OS/2 swapping for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1597] OS/2 swapping for Mathematica
  • From: "Michael U. Bogatyriev" <mbog at tulgtu.tula.su>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 01:08:24 -0400

Hello,

>   > Could someone please explain how Mathematica for OS2 uses virtual
>   > memory?  Is it capable of swapping out active blocks of memory?
>
>   In OS/2, as in Windows, virtual memory is a function of the operating system.
>   Functional details of virtual memory, such as swapping pages of memory to and
>   from the hard disk, are handled by the operating system and are invisible to
>   user programs, including Mathematica.  So, in essence, you are actually asking
>   if OS/2 can swap out active blocks of memory for running programs.  Yes, it
>   can, as can Windows, although OS/2 has fewer limitations (see below).
>   > Ezra D. Greenberg
>   > Department of Economics
>   > University of Maryland at College Park
>   > edg at wam.umd.edu
>
>   John Fultz
>   Wolfram Research, Inc.

My experience in running Mathematica under OS/2 confirms Mr. Fultz's opinion
that OS/2  arranges swap file more effectively than Windows. Moreover I run
Mma as a Windows's session from OS/2. Having 60 Mbytes swap declared in OS/2,
I see OS/2 dynamically distributes it and there are no problems with such
Mma's functions as NDSolve[].

But there is another problem. Mathematica takes from Windows all processor
resources (100% even I did not load Mma's kernel!). Other users in OS/2 do not
like my Mathematica (but I do!).

May be I need real OS/2  Mathematica version for optimal computing?

Sincerely,
                    Michael Bogatyriev

                    Department of Automatic Control
                    Tula State Tech. University