Re: LOGARITHMIC AXES

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1494] Re: [mg1462] LOGARITHMIC AXES
  • From: twj (Tom Wickham-Jones)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 01:36:11 -0400

Steve I forgot to put my name at the bottom of my last
post.  Maybe you could substitue this instead.

Jad Succari writes

>How do create a log axes?

There is a function LogScale that is available in the Standard
Package Graphics`Graphics`.  This can be used as a setting for
the tick mark option of Graphics objects.   Rather than create
log axes specifically it is often easier to use one of the commands
like ListLogPlot which come with log axes (using the LogScale
function).

In[1]:= <<Graphics`Graphics`

In[2]:= ?LogScale
LogScale[xmin, xmax] gives a list of "nice" values between xmin and xmax
   suitable for use as tick mark positions on a logarithmic scale.
   LogScale[xmin, xmax, n] attempts to find n such values.

In[2]:= ?LogListPlot
LogListPlot[{y1, y2, ...}] or LogListPlot[{{x1, y1}, {x2, y2}, ...}] generates
   a plot of Log[yi] against the xi.

In[2]:= LogListPlot[ {10^2, 10^3, 10^4}]

Out[2]= -Graphics-

Tom Wickham-Jones
WRI