OS2 Version, Use of Virtual Memory?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1559] OS2 Version, Use of Virtual Memory?
  • From: edg at wam.umd.edu (Ezra Greenberg)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 05:38:57 -0400

Could someone please explain how Mathematica for OS2 uses virtual
memory?  Is it capable of swapping out active blocks of memory?

For example, suppose I am creating a large Table using Solve.  Is this
version capable of swapping out intermediate results so that the
calculation can be completed?

I am currently using 2.2.4 for windows (but have ordered the OS2
version).  On this platform (running under Warp) I have been getting
"Unhandled Memory Faults" and "Out of memory, Exiting messages."
One of the tech folks suggested that I rewrite the program without the
Solve command since this creates alot of intermediate values.  I did this
and am still getting the error (plus things slowed down by a factor of 10
!).  The problem is recursive so things get real big, real fast.

Anyway, wondering if there is any reason to believe that the OS2 version
will handle this stuff any better.

Thanks,

Ezra D. Greenberg
Department of Economics