FindMinimum [] more elegantly?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1568] FindMinimum [] more elegantly?
  • From: MAMER at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 02:39:41 -0400

Hello MathGroupers,
I have a question regarding putting the FindMinimum[] into a more elegant
form than the following which I've been using.
I have a function sumOfSquares of two variables a and b and I need to feed
back the values of a and b into the FindMinimum expression as follows:
alpha= 0.234; beta= .567;
FindMinimum[ sumOfSquares, {a,alpha}, {b,beta}, MaxIterations->100 ]
alpha= a/.%[[2,1]] ; beta=b/. %[[2,2]];

I used the to click on the last two statements several times til the output
of FindMinimum stabilizes. Is there an elegant way to do this?

Thanks in advance
Mike Amer
mamer at utkvx.utk.edu