Re: Re: Download from Mathsource

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1547] Re: [mg1534] Re: [mg1512] Download from Mathsource
  • From: Kaelin Colclasure <kaelin at bridge.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 03:37:44 -0400

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Richard Mercer wrote:

> This can indeed be a problem. The supposedly "platform-independent" packages
> (.m files), because of the linefeed problem you mention, are in fact not fully
> platform-independent. If the linefeed problem is not corrected, you may observe
> strange behavior when trying to load such packages.
>
> I have found that packages given in notebook format (.ma files on some systems)
> are actually *more* stable when transformed between platforms than when in the
> package format! My guess is that notebooks handle linefeeds internally.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't help you much unless you can get people to post
> packages in notebook format, or at least binhex format (.hqx) for Mac users.
> Your best bet would be to find a DOS-MAC text tranfer utility that handles line
> feeds correctly. Recent Macintosh system software I believe will do this
> automatically IF you feed it the file on a DOS disk! (Not convenient if you
> download directly to your Mac.) I'm sure there are public domain/shareware
> solutions to this problem but don't know what they are.

It should be possible to use Apple File Exchange (which comes with your
Macintosh system software) to correct this problem.  Simply tell it
you're converting a DOS text file to Macintosh format and it will adjust
the CR/LF terminating convention to the Mac's CR-only format.

// EMail: kaelin at bridge.com           Mail: Bridge Information Systems, Inc.
// Voice: (314)567-8463                     717 Office Parkway
//   Fax: (314)432-5391                     St. Louis, MO 63141