Best solution definition

   This is just a question that I have been wondering about.  Frequently
when a problem is posed on this group, the way the "best" solution is
defined is by timing alone.  I have always thought one of the appeals about
MMA is how naturally a solution flows from the typical pencil and paper
approach.  Frequently this doesn't lead to the fastest solution but
definitely the easiest to read.  When the solution takes advantage of a
more cryptic technique, the readability suffers.  How does everyone feel
about using timing as the primary yard stick?  How often do you run into
calculations where timing becomes a problem?

   Just for my curiosity,
   Daryl