How to identify equations

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg522] How to identify equations
  • From: aak at rmbmain.rmb.co.za
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 95 14:12:39 EST

Hi there

Is there a Mathematica function which one can use to identify another given
function
within an equation. I would like to do, for instance, the following:

F[x] = ...function..... (this is given)
DF[x] = D[F[x],x]      (derivative of F]

I now want to simplify DF[x] and identify the original function F therein and
then let Mathematica write out DF as a function of F instead of using the
defined F.

Can this be done

Thanks for the help

Antonie Kotze