suggestions?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg549] suggestions?
  • From: deb at alceon.com (David E. Burmaster)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 09:19:32 -0500

Dear MathGroup

Somewhere, I have read an article or chapter on a related problem, but I
cannot find the source? Can you help please?

Here is a problem statement:

There is a rectangular plot of land, several acres in size, which is
contaminated by a single hazardous waste. We have some chemical
measurements of the concentation of the waste in the soils at N randomly
spaced points -- these points are NOT on a grid.

From other information about the deposition of the waste, we know that the
function

        concentration( x, y )

is well behaved and smoothly varying.....

So, I want to use a 2D InterpolationFunction in Mma to model the
concentration in the soils, but first I have to estimate the concentrations
at each of the intersections on a square grid (or a rectangular grid). From
that point, the InterpolationFunction is easy.....

Any suggestions? Thank you for your help

Dave
David E. Burmaster
Alceon Corporation
Cambridge, MA