Re: Mma problem on PowerMac

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1121] Re: Mma problem on PowerMac
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 02:11:47 -0400

In article <3opkgl$7h4 at news0.cybernetics.net>, bzbkowal at ZIB-Berlin.DE
(Axel Kowald) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I just got a new PowerMac (Performa 5200) and tried to install my 68k
Mathematica
> (version 2.2) running in emulation mode. Initially it complained that no
FPU is
> present. That's okay, it doesn't know about the powerpc FPU and
therefore I installed
> SoftFPU 3.0. Now I can start the front end and also the kernel comes up
a little bit
> (the meter shows up) but then dies :-((
>
> Now the big question:
> Is there no way to run my 68k Mathematica on a PowerMac ????   Or what
am I doing
> wrong ??

If you are using 2.2.1 Enhanced then you can first of all install
the non-fpu binary. This is an option in the installer. This will
run somewhat faster than the fpu binary with SoftFPU.

Secondly you may need to turn off the Modern Memory Manager in the
Memory control panel.

For information about upgrading to the enhanced version 2.2.2,
which includes the native Power Macintosh binary, contact
Wolfram Research's sales department. (info at wri.com, info-europe at wri.com in
Europe and info-asia at wri.com in Asia.)

I hope this helps.

--Ian