Re: Find the center!
- To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
- Subject: [mg1127] Re: Find the center!
- From: wagner at bullwinkle.cs.Colorado.EDU (Dave Wagner)
- Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 01:59:11 -0400
- Organization: University of Colorado, Boulder
In article <3p1dtm$n2n at news0.cybernetics.net>, Gottfried Mayer-Kress <gmk at pegasos.ccsr.uiuc.edu> wrote: > >There are a bunch of points in 3-space and they are supposed to be >scattered around the surface of a sphere. You want to find the >center of the sphere and the radius. > >NB: The data are noisy (about 2% of the radius) and only cover a patch >on the sphere. > >I think I have a reasonable solution, but maybe someone knows of some >real elegant method? There were several approaches to this problem in The Mathematica Journal a couple of years ago, in several different issues. They probably were in Paul Abbott's "Tricks of the Trade" column. Dave Wagner Principia Consulting (303) 786-8371 dbwagner at princon.com http://www.princon.com/princon