Re: Novice GUI 2D Plotting Package?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1209] Re: Novice GUI 2D Plotting Package?
  • From: tlm at ameslab.gov (Tom Marchioro)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 03:47:42 -0400

Ken Mandelberg writes
> Does anyone know of a GUI oriented package or notebook which gives the
> user a spot to type in a function of one variable and a domain, and
> then use the mouse for zoom in/ zoom out, and picking coordinates?
>
> The idea is to insulate the user from mathematica itself. This group of
> users are expected to be able to sit down and type in functions and
> interact with the graph with little or no instruction.

You might be interested in some of the tools which are being developed by
the UCES project to do computational science education via the WWW.  In
particular, we have a very simple "plotter" presented through the WEB,
forms, and CGI scripting.  Check out

http://magic.mse.iastate.edu/~meayre/graph.html

This one is based on Maple, but a Mathematica equivalent would be easy to
throw together..... err..... well, actually, the current version of Mma
does not have a direct GIF output for graphics, so maybe it's not so
simple, but it is possible.  Tom WJ of WRI promises me there will be
direct .gif output in the upcoming version.

If your access is going to be reasonably low, you are welcome to use the
page above.  If you plan on pounding on it pretty hard contact me and we
will arrange to give you code to implement your own.

People in this group might also be interested in checking out our
Matheamtica WEB server:

http://uep.ameslab.gov/~charlie/Mma_Server_Init.html

Hope this proves helpful.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas L. Marchioro II      Two-wheeled theoretical physicist
Applied Mathematical Sciences   515-294-9779
Ames, Iowa 50011                tlm at ameslab.gov

Executive Director: