Problem with Machine Precision

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg1281] Problem with Machine Precision
  • From: bouyer at (Frederic BOUYER)
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 04:35:44 -0400

I run a small script under mathematica with my PowerMacintosh and the
**same** (obtained by a copy-and-paste) program on my SGI.

The results are not the same !!!

It consists on the resolution (NSolve) of an system of two highly
non-linear equations. The $MachinePrecision are not the same (macintosh=19,

I would be greatful to have comments of this problem and the way to change
the $MachinePrecision on my SGI.

Thank you in advance.

Frederic Bouyer
Lab. Electrochimie, ENSCP, Paris-FRANCE