Re: Points disappeared in ListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1280] Re: [mg1253] Points disappeared in ListPlot
  • From: rak at canon.co.uk (Richard Kirk)
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 04:25:44 -0400

Kyle Oliver <koliver at bu.edu>
in [mg1253] Points disappeared in ListPlot
Writes
> I just installed MMa on 12 Pentium 75 in one of my labs, and when I
> run ListPlot, the points do not show up?  We have a site license
> for all of our machines, so it should not be a license problem.  I
> can solve the problem by using PlotStyle->PointSize[0.01], but I
> would have to type this in every time.
> Does anyone know of a global solution, or how I can change the
> default

I remember this.  In my last job I found the points printed on a local
printer but not on the networked printer.  I suspect this is because
the PostScript rendering was done by different RIP software.  It was a
nuisance for me because the nicer printer would not print the points.

I remember trying Allan Hayes' solution of...

>You can use
>SetOptions[ListPlot, PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.01]}];

>But each time you use PlotStyle inside ListPlot you will need to
>include PointSize[0.01] in the styles.

>This problem can be avoided by using
>SetOptions[ListPlot,Prolog -> PointSize[0.01]]
>(provided you don't use Prolog inside ListPlot)

I remember it worked provided you had big chunky dots, but when the dots
got beneath a certain size they disappeared.  This is remembering back a
couple of years, so don't take my word for it.  But try another printer
if you've got one around (what me, an engineer? some mistake, surely?).

Cheers.

--
Richard Kirk                      01483-448869 (phone)  01483-448845 (fax)
Canon Research Europe Ltd,                              rak at canon.co.uk