Help on selecting Diff. Equations book.

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1287] Help on selecting Diff. Equations book.
  • From: "marcos e. mota" <B72CC at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 05:35:47 -0400

Hello Everyone:
I am looking for a book on Mathematica and diffential equations.  My knowledge
of the program is limited (though I own it) and I have not taken the Diff. Eq.
course.  My criteria for the book is that it be clear, comprehensive, and less
than $60 (minus tax + shipping).  Also, I prefer that the author(s) be
unobstrusive.  For those of you who know Purcell and Varberg, I prefer their
writing style.

My  present list consists of the following:

Partial Differential Equations w/ Mathematica by Dimitri Vvedensky
Differential Equations w/ Mathematica by M.L. Abell & J.P. Braselton
Differential Equations: An Introduction w/ Mathematica by Clay C. Ross

The description of the last book states "suitable for students in mathematics
, physics, and engineering." This makes it perfect for me; I need to take
physics, and my major is mech. eng.   If any of you know the publisher's,
Springer-Verlag, telephone number please let me know.

Opinions and comments on the other books are welcome.

Adeau and thanks.