  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1016] Re: Maximum Likelihood Estimation
  • From: Bill Harbaugh <harbaugh at students.wisc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 03:25:19 -0400

One approach is to write out the likelihood function and then do a grid
search, assuming it is too nasty for analytic methods.  I am doing this
at the moment, and can tell you that mma is very, very, very slow for
this purpose.  My bet is that you would be much happier with a package
designed for this purpose, such as Gauss. On the otherhand, the symbolic
abilities of mma can be useful for some problems