Re: Logic Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2546] Re: Logic Problems
  • From: maeder at inf.ethz.ch (Roman Maeder)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 01:12:48 -0500

In article <47pnbh$fhc at ralph.vnet.net>,
   TTCJ34A at prodigy.com (DR JOHN C ERB) wrote:
->Can Mathematica be used to solve logic problems?  As a
->simplistic example: Mary is older than Tom; Tom is older
->than Sue; is Mary older than Sue?  I would like to be able
->to do this type of problem without specifying values (i.e.,
->ageMary=35).
->Thank you.
->John C. Erb

It is not that difficult to implement backtracking and unification
in Mathematica. I developed a simple Prolog interpreter that
could be used to answer such questions. Here are the references:

@article{Maeder94c,
   author = { Roman E. Maeder},
   journal = MathJournal,
   volume = { 4},
   number = { 1},
   title = {Logic Programming {I}: The Interpreter},
   year = 1994
}

@article{Maeder94d,
   author = { Roman E. Maeder},
   journal = MathJournal,
   volume = { 4},
   number = { 2},
   title = {Logic Programming {II}: Applications},
   year = 1994
}

the code is in the electronic supplement of the Mathematica Journal.
It is available through MathSource.

Roman Maeder
Theoretical Computer Science
ETH Zentrum, IFW