LUDecomposition output?

Can someone tell me how, exactly, is the LUDecomposition output formatted?
I have a symmetric matrix which I need to decompose into a lower and an upper
diagonal matrix, but I cannot find any reference to the command itself.
Executing LUDecomposition[ ] gives me a single table, but I do not know which
coefficents belong to which matrix.  Any help will be appreciated.