RE: Re: Writing big files with Mathematica

  • Subject: [mg2522] RE: [mg2499] Re: Writing big files with Mathematica
  • From: jfultz ("John R. Fultz")
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 06:45:04 GMT
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )

This is a separate issue, but there is an elegant workaround for your
problem.  It is true that reading binary files is slow in Mathematica, but
there is a MathLink package called FastBinaryFiles which completely
duplicates the functionality of the Utilities`BinaryFiles` package, but
does it orders of magnitude faster.  This package is reference number
0206-783 on MathSource.  You will need at least Mathematica 2.2.2
for Windows to run this; if you have 2.2.1 for Windows, you need to
upgrade.

John Fultz
Wolfram Research, Inc.

----------
>From: 	Bjoern Grothkast[SMTP:grot at marie.physik.tu-berlin.de]
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: 	[mg2499] Re: Writing big files with Mathematica

:
:

Hello Tanguy,

unfortunately I can't help you with your problem. All I can say is that I
had a similar problem with M. for Windows 2.2:

I tried to read a file of about 128 kB byte by byte. Mathematica read only
about 40 kB and stopped then without complaining. I realized it only
because I wanted to process the data further and about 88 kB of them where
missing.

Greetings,

	Bjoern

------------------=3D=3D=3D=3D### legal notice ###=3D=3D=3D=3D-----------=
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form=
, in
whole or in part.  License to distribute this post is available to Micros=
oft
for $499.  Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these t=
erms.