Re: Formating output of Modules

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2259] Re: [mg2214] Formating output of Modules
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 01:32:36 -0400

Scott Herod <sherod at>
in [mg2214] Formating output of Modules
asks about formatting output.

Here is his example:

>  Format[spam[x_]] := 1/x;
>  spam[a_] := Module[{},pop = Table[a,{3}]];
>  spam[8]
>     {8, 8, 8}
> I would like spam[8] to return {8,8,8} but to print the output as
> 1/8.

The output is {8,8,8} which is not of the form spam[x_]; so no
formatting is done. Also,to get 1/8 needs a different formatting

It seems unlikely that you want to change the format for lists, so
you might consider wrapping the output and then putting in a
formatting instruction for the wrapped form.

* Example *

  Format[vv[{x_,___}]] := 1/x;
  spam[a_] := Module[{},pop = vv[Table[a,{3}]]];

      vv[List[8, 8, 8]]

Allan Hayes
hay at

Begin forwarded message:

>From: Scott Herod <sherod at>
>To: mathgroup at
>Subject: [mg2214] Formating output of Modules

I've got an annoying little problem that I was hoping someone can
help me solve.  I have a Module, NDelaySolve, which returns a
numerical approximation of solutions to differential-delay equations.
In order to make the output look as much like that of NDSolve as
possible, I have the module return something like

{{x[t] -> g[t], y[t] -> f[t]}}

where g[t] and f[t] are often big Which[] functions.  I would like
to reduce the output by creating a DelaySolveFunction[][t] which
looks something like an Interpolating function.

Here is an example:

  Format[spam[x_]] := 1/x;
  spam[a_] := Module[{},
    pop = Table[a,{3}]
  {8, 8, 8}

This Format isn't doing what I want.  I would like spam[8] to
return {8,8,8}
but to print the output as 1/8.  If I get this one to work, I could solve
my real problem.

Scott Herod
sherod at