Special Nonlinear Fitting?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2368] Special Nonlinear Fitting?
  • From: f91el at (Erik Lindahl)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 22:48:14 -0500

I need to do a nonlinear fitting of data to a function, where I can't get
an explicit expression for the functions value.

Let me give you an example:

Assume I have the data point as pairs {x,y}

I want to "solve" the following relationship for the parameters a and b:

Y^2/X*f[Y^2/(X*a)]=b*given function of X.

with f[z]=z/Sqrt[1+z^2]...

Is there any procedure capable of this?

I must be able to enter an equation as the model, and state that "Y" is the
data value at each point.

Ideas, anybody?

Erik R. Lindahl                   f91el at
Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, SWEDEN