Replacing a part of a list/matrix?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2180] Replacing a part of a list/matrix?
  • From: olee at ripco.com (O. Lee)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 01:59:16 -0400

I am trying to assign a value to a matrix position, such as:

        pop[[ x,y ]] = value

in a module function. When I try manually assigning a value
to the matrix position outside of the module, it works. When
I run the function with the statement, Mathematica gives me
the following error message:

Part::setps:

          in assignment of part is not a symbol.

Can anyone tell me how to get the assignment statement to
work! I isolated the problem in the function to this line
and I am sure that what I just described was the problem.
I have tried using the command:

        pop=ReplacePart[pop,value,{x,y}]

but it gives me even more error messages! Help me please!
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

O. Lee