Inverse Z-Transform and/or Long Division

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2184] Inverse Z-Transform and/or Long Division
  • From: degennar at bmsrs.usc.edu (Raymond Anthony Ralph DeGennaro II)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 02:23:26 -0400

I have a rather nasty Z-Transform of a transfer function that looks like:
             a0 + a1*z^-1 + a2*z^-2
   H(z) =    ----------------------
             b0 + b1*z^-1 + b2*z^-2

where a0, a1, a2, b0, b1 and b2 are sums/products of a number of
paramters.  I have access the the Symbolic Toolbox (uses the Maple kernal)
in Matlab (reasonable experience) and Mathematica (essentially zero
experience).

Is there an easy way to bring this back into the time domain in either of
these packages?

Alternately, if I could just do a symbolic long division, I would get
terms in the form:
   a0 + a1*z^-1 + a2*z^-2 + a3*z^-3 + ...
which are super-simple to bring into the time-domain.  But I can't seem to
get Matlab to do this (I haven't tried Mathematica, yet).

ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

ray
-----
Ray DeGennaro