Mathematica & Security Software

  • Subject: [mg2198] Mathematica & Security Software
  • From: nre+ at pitt.edu ("Nancy R. Evans")
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 06:25:55 GMT
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )

Good day,

We are having a problem with corruption of mathematica notebooks as they are copied
from Mac HD to floppy disk.  This seems to be an intermitant problem and is very frustrating
to our students.  Any and ALL suggestions are welcom.

Background
Mac devices - Power Mac 7100/80's running Sytem 7.5.1
Mathematica version 2.2.2.1 from the HD

Software also used
MacPrefect 3.0 - used to prevent tampering with system file
RevRdist 1.5d64 - used to update devices

Problem as stated to me;

1. Students save notebook to mac hd
2. Close mathematica
3. Drag copy notebook to floppy
4. Double click file on floppy
5. Mathematica opens, file is corrupted.

If open damaged file in text editor, data fork is empty.

I have tried to reproduce this problem with no success.  Waiting for response from
security software vendor & will also contact Wolfram.  If any one has seen this
problem or as a suggestion, please contact me at nre+ at pitt.edu. I do not read this
group regularly so direct response would be appreciated.

Regards
Nancy R. Evans