Re: Mathematica and NetScape

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2069] Re: Mathematica and NetScape
  • From: Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 20:35:25 -0400

"Brian H. Marston" <c570529 at> wrote:
>> Briefly, if you use a Unix version of Netscape you need to place
>> the line:
>>      application/mathematica; mathematica %s
>> in a file called .mailcap in your home directory.
>I did the above and also placed the line:
>application/mathematica ma
>in a file called .mime.types in my home directory.

This part is *only* if you are running a WWW server, and it
needs to go where the httpd program will find it: in the
main config file for the program, or (probably - have not
tried it) individuals can set their own .mime.types in their
public_html directories.

>Then I re-opened Netscape and tried to view some .ma files.
>Unfortunately, the only file it worked with was
>Every other file I tried from MathSource and from
>came up in Netscape as a plain text file.

What I think is happening is that the missouri server uses the
type application/x-mathematica (where  "x-" is the prefix for
a provisional type not yet approved by the network authorities).
No problem - just add that type as well to .mailcap (or whatever
else one does for Windows and Macintosh):

 application/x-mathematica; mathematica %s

This is my setup and I can launch those missouri files no problemo.
You should check with the webmaster at that server and get the mime
type changed, if this is indeed what is going wrong.

I dont know what could be happening with the WRI server; if you
post up an explicit URL I'll take a look.

Incidentally, the official definition of application/mathematica
can be found at:

-Phillip Kent.