Re: Solving inequation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2091] Re: Solving inequation
  • From: danl (Daniel Lichtblau)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 01:14:21 -0400

In article <DFCG6A.Lz6 at wri.com> uthaisom at veena.cps.msu.edu (Patchrawat
Uthaisombut) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new Mathematica user.
> I wonder if Mathematica can solve inequation.
> Something like
>
> 	Solve[ k+s < s+1, k]
>
> If there is no such build-in function,
> suggestion to implement this is also appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Patchrawat Uthaisombut

  There is to my knowledge no package that does this at present. We will
discuss the possibility of implementing such, but I do not suspect it will
be a priority item at this time (but we may do it anyway for that subset
of problems we decide is sufficiently simple).
  If you want to implement something to do this, try solving the equation
first, and converting the rules that result into equations. If the result
contains no parameters or is linear in the solve variable, then simple
substitution of values will show whether to convert the equations to
greater-than or less-than inequalities.

  Daniel Lichtblau, WRI