Some Easy (hopefully) Questions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2030] Some Easy (hopefully) Questions
  • From: Rob Carscadden <carscadd at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 01:40:17 -0400

I'm trying to run a model using Mathematica. I've scoured all our
libraries and all the books are gone. Working with all too basic
Mathematica By Example, I haven't been able to find how to do some rather
easy things.

The first thing I want to do is find a max (I need to plug the max and
where it occurs into anther equation). I have a function, and I have
taken both the first and second derivatives. I solve for f'(x) = 0. But
here's where the trouble comes in. I want to plug these points back into
my f(x). How can I do this. Look at the following example:

possmax = Solve[(x - 1)^2 == 0,x] // N

I get {{x -> 1.},{x ->1.}}
and when I try

I get {x ->1.}

but I want the number 1 instead.

I know this if probably extremely basic, but due to lack of available
documentation here, I can not figure it out.

P.S. another useful trick to know would be how many objects are in a
list. My function a bit more complicated (compositions, logs etc.), and I
don't exactly how many solutions I will have from the Solve[ ] statement.

Rob Carscadden
carscadd at
49% of all Statistics are made up on the spot!