Re: Font changes on plots??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3663] Re: [mg3632] Font changes on plots??
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:56:13 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I am trying to get different fonts on the axes labels
> and for for the numbers.  On the screen, it will change
> but when printed out it reverts back to the courier font.
> I can get symbols to print out for and axis label, but this is it.
>
> Does anyone know how to get the font changes to print out???  Is it
> the printer or the driver????  Any help would be very helpful.  I
> plan to use them in a TeX document and would like the fonts to be the
> same.  Also, can mathematica do super and subscripts????  just asking.
>

> I appreciate any hints that anyone may have.
>

> Thanks
>

> Ryan McMahon
> University of Tennessee

This often happens when you use a font name that your computer recognizes but
not the printer (especially if you're using a PostScript printer).  The
classic example of this is setting the font name to "Times".  This works
perfectly well on most computers, but you'll not find a single font called
"Times" on most PostScript printers.  The font name which corresponds to what
we think of as "Times" is actually "Times-Roman".  Thus if you used that
name in your FontForm command or DefaultFont option, it would work just fine
on both screen and printout.

This happens because on most implementations of Mathematica (except for
Windows), the graphic is not rendered for the PostScript printer by
Mathematica, but is passed straight through in Mathematica's native
PostScript representation.  While this makes the printed graphic
typically somewhat more accurate, it also means that Mathematica can't
make sure that all of the font names are specified exactly as your
printer needs them.

Most PostScript printers have some kind of test mode or something where they
can print out an example of every font loaded in the printer, with it's name.
If you can obtain such a printout, I suggest you look at it for the exact
font name you need to pass to Mathematica.  If the font isn't even loaded on
your printer, then you'll need to get it loaded.

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
Applications Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.