x' times O[x]?

A student has just pointed out a strange behavior of Mathematica with the
Series command.  It can be exemplified by:

The answer which Mathematica returns is

Or:

which returns

                                             (3)
                                          (0)      2       3
                                            2

Can anybody explain what's going on here?  Trace doesn't seem to help.

--Ron Bruck

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====