Re: MOVIES

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3832] Re: MOVIES
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 00:30:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4let2m$e4m at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, sliver at stars.sfsu.edu
(Peter Jay Salzman) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to make a "movie" of the
> propagation of a wave obeying a differential equation through time.
>
> For example:  Given an initial condtion f[x] = x^2  on some interval,
> I would like to show how the wave propagates under the wave equation,
>
>        U_tt = c^2 * U_xx
>
> Currently, I can make plots of the solution u(x,t) at varying times
> to show how the wave behaves, but it would be nice to make a movie
> of it.
>
> Is this possible?   Thanks!
>
> Pete

All versions of Mathematica are able to display sequences of graphics
as animations. The details vary on different platforms.

The following command will generate a sequence of graphics:

Table[ Plot[ Sin[ a x], {x, 0, 10}], {a, 1, 6}]

In any version of Mathematica with a notebook front end double
clicking on one of the resulting graphics will run the animation.

On the Macintosh you can save the entire animation as a
QuickTime movie by selecting the cell bracket that groups the
animation and then selecting "Convert to QuickTime" from the
Graph menu.

If you are running a version of Mathematica without a notebook
front end you will want to use the Graphics`Animation` package
which is documented in the "Guide to Standard Mathematica
Packages Technical Report".

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier